Are Sheet Masks Worth The Hype?
Are sheet masks worth the hype? We’ve been asking ourselves that question lately, since everywhere you look companies are creating sheet masks for all skin types. While they’ve been used in Korea for some time, their popularity in the United States has grown tremendously over the past few years. So you may be asking yourself what the benefits are – as well as the downsides – before considering a purchase.
Benefits of Using Sheet Masks
- They travel well
- They are hydrating
- They can be less messy than jar masks
- They are single-use, which prevents the introduction of bacteria
Downsides of Using Sheet Masks
- They can be expensive – you only use it once!
- They produce a lot of waste – much of not recyclable or biodegradable
- They usually require that you be lying down
- They can cause irritation and being left on for prolonged periods of time
- The masks don’t always fit perfectly
There you have it. Regardless of the celebrity endorsement, consumers must decide if these masks are worth the expense. And there’s also the question of what to do with all of those little empty plastic packs. Perhaps they’re fine as an occasional indulgence before a special event, which won’t put too big a dent in your pocketbook. Whatever you decide to do, before to read the ingredient labels and know what it is that you’re putting on your face.
Refinery 29 article on sheet masks and sustainability