Health and Beauty Apps to Try
Health and Beauty apps are here to stay.
But which ones to try? With all of the app selections out there for iOS and Android phones, it can be difficult to pinpoint the ones to try, even when they are free. Here, we’ve focused on those apps that we found appealing based on their focus. Rather than sifting through a myriad of apps designed to encourage you to shop for a particular product, we’ve selected apps that do something else. Below is a list of interesting apps that help you make healthier, more ethical choices.
- Healthy Living App – created by the Environmental Working Group, a non-profit organization dedicated to better health and the environment, it contains a database of approximately 120,000 personal care products and gives consumers an assessment score based on perceived toxicity. All you need to do is to enter a product name or scan its barcode. Products verified under its EWG-Verified label are also included. The app is free; for iOS/Android.
- Think Dirty App – a journey that began with Founder and CEO Lily Tse’s family history of breast cancer has culminated in a project that has the support of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and the Breast Cancer Foundation, among others. With over 550,000 products listed in its database, it’s a good place to start if you want to know exactly what is in your personal care products. Free in the App Store and Google Play.
- Cruelty-free App – created by the Coalition for Consumer Information in Cosmetics, this app allows you to search for products in their database that are certified cruelty-free under their “Leaping Bunny” program. As of this writing, reports are that the scan function needs work, but if you merely want to see which companies are listed, it’s a useful tool.
- Good on You Ethical Fashion App – we thought to include this app here, although it is not related to beauty products. After all, why avoid harmful chemicals in your skincare if you wear a t-shirt made with pesticide-laden cotton, or made using child labor? Here you can find over 1,000 brands that maintain transparency in their manufacturing practices, so that you can feel good about what you put on. Want to know which of your favorites is playing dirty? You may find them here. Free in the Apple Store and in Google Play.
- Zeel App – If you would love to have a massage, but often have to travel far or you can’t get away, here is a cool solution. With this app, you can schedule a massage in the comfort of your own home. Available in many locations throughout the U.S., you can sign up for a membership discount if you choose, or just schedule a massage as needed. What could be better?
We hope that these apps will help you find healthy products for yourself and your family. Do you know of another useful health/beauty app? Feel free to comment below.